From your course textbook, Ticket to Write, read the following chapter:
- “The Death of My Father,” by Steve Martin (Open attachment for this article)
A narrative essay relates a story in order to convey meaning or significance. In “The Death of My Father,” the author concludes by saying, “My father’s death has a thousand endings. I continue to absorb its messages and meanings.”
- What is one significant message or meaning that you would like to point out from this essay?
- Explain why that one stood out for you.
- How effective was this essay?
- What about the writing worked or didn’t work?
- Point out the best sentence in the narrative and explain why you chose that one.
In-Text Citation Example
I have experienced the loss of several family members this year, and the final statement in Martin’s (2013) essay echoes how I felt each time someone died: “Nobody should have to die alone” (p. 630).