Chapter 3: Organizational Operations and Strategies : “Universal Health Services” (UHS)
Note: Please use this organization “Universal Health Services” (UHS) to do the Research Proposal
Use the same writer you have selected for chapter 1 and 2 to do that paper for chapter 3.
I Need you guys to use this book for the research and 4 sources as reference, Based on my professor demand:
Title: Strategic Management: Theory & Cases: An Integrated Approach
Author(s): Hill, C. W., & Jones, R. J., & Schilling, M. A
Chapter 3: Organizational Operations and Strategies
Overview: You introduced the organization in Chapter 1, provided some historical highlights, and described its current functions. This chapter offers a more in-depth look into the organization’s operations and business strategies with a focus on problems, issues, weaknesses, or threats described in Chapter 2. You will build upon these problems in Chapter 4 as you conduct a SWOT analysis.
Details: This chapter includes two major sections that offer a thorough discussion of the organization under review. Discussion in this chapter should include insight from the literature search you performed in Chapter 2 as well as support for your research question and hypothesis. Details for preparing each section are as indicated below.
Section I: Current Company Operations
In this section you will provide subheadings and explore the bulleted subjects listed at the end of this paragraph to help in identifying one or more areas exhibiting weakness or threats for further analysis (consistent with the research question and hypothesis in Chapter 1). Each item includes a reference to one or more BAS courses so that you can incorporate a discussion of theories or concepts introduced in the program. You should also refer to “A SWOT Checklist” (Table 1 in Appendix C4, of Hill & Jones textbook) to help in defining possible concerns you intend to explore later. Also, refer to the resource guide entitled Theories & Concepts Associated with Learning Outcomes (provided with this course) for assistance in recalling or categorizing this information.
Provide subdivision headings to discuss the financial aspects (the first item below) and at least five other issues listed below:
• Briefly cover recent historical and current financial aspects of the organization (Course content from
FIN 3400); important note: if you are researching a publicly held company, include financial
information from a recent Income Statement and Balance Sheet. You will need this information if your
thesis addresses financial issues such as profitability, for example. You should also include a financial
data comparison to your organization’s competitors in the industry.
• Organizational hierarchy and structure as well as a preliminary summary of management and
leadership styles in the organization (Course content from MAN 3025, MAN 4120, MAN 3240)
• Human resource aspects of the organization including a review of benefits and pay scales relative to
the market (Is the compensation appropriate? Are the rewards adequate?) (Course content from
• Labor relations issues (MAN 4401, other concentration courses or electives as appropriate)
• Specific legal or ethical issues relevant during the organization’s recent history (Course content from
• A summary of technology and information systems employed by the organization (Course content
from ISM 4011)
• Marketing issues (MAN4802, MAN 4162, other concentration courses or electives as appropriate)
• Operations decisions or operations procedures such as quality manufacturing programs (MAN 4504;
other concentration courses or electives as appropriate)
• Industry environment factors that could threaten the organization’s future competitive success
(Course content from GEB 4891)
• Strategic planning or short-term planning issues pertinent to the study (Course content from GEB
In Section II: Corporate & Business Strategies you will outline some of the company’s strategies. Provide
subdivision headings to discuss at least five of the following issues:
• Define the company’s mission & goals, either from official statements or from the analysis so far
• Define corporate strategy by describing lines of business and acquisitions
• Determine if the business lines are related or just a portfolio of investments
• Define the company’s strategy such as related or unrelated diversification
• Determine if the strategy changed over time
• Discuss the implementation of the strategy to date and explain why it was or was not successful
• Identify the generic competitive strategies such as differentiation, low-cost, focus, etc.
• Identify the investment strategies based on competition & life cycle stages
• Mention any functional strategies that help it achieve competitive advantage such as efficiency,
quality, innovation, customer responsiveness, etc.
• Investigate the impact of production, marketing, and research & development on strategy formulation
• Do the company’s structure & control systems support its corporate/business strategies?
• Does it have the right levels of hierarchy & decentralization if vertically differentiated?
• Does it employ a functional structure when a product structure is more appropriate if horizontally
• Are controls in place to ensure adequate compensation and reward systems?
Section III: Chapter Summary. Briefly summarize chapter 3.